søndag den 6. marts 2011

The Roads of Rome, Lucas 1

Hey, don’t look at me, I haven’t done anything. I never do anything.

I just stay out of the way, don’t talk too big, don’t ask for too much. You should never ask for too much. You just might get it, y’know.

So I just stay out of the way, I see you all walking by. Pants and shoes, sitting on the ground right, so all I see are pants and shoes. So many of you. So unaware.

So when they come, you’ll all pay, you’ll all be taken. And all your pants and shoes won’t help you then, you’ll be stripped bare of all those things you really love.

But I’ll be safe; I’ll be hiding away somewhere, like I always do. You don’t notice me, so why should they?

Once upon a time my name was Lucas Miller, and I worked and I lived in an apartment, I showed up on some screen somewhere as ‘citizen’.

Then, one night, I was hit by a flash of clarity. The creature lying next to me wasn’t my wife at all. She was one of them, one of the invaders. And I know I did the right thing, I don’t need anybody to tell me that I acted correctly, don’t need any medals. I wouldn’t have accepted it anyway, a medal I mean, ‘cause I stay out of the way, savvy? Of course I wouldn’t have accepted a medal, no one wanted to give me one anyway! It was a grisly business! What I did, I mean.

And I haven’t done it since. Once in a while though, when I stick out my cup and people don’t even think about putting something in there, then, I mean rarely, then I think about doing something, y’know, something for nothing. ‘Cause of nothing.

Your pants just slide by, like some, something else, or something.

I was never much of a poet. Neither was Lucas, Mr. Miller. He did things with papers and offices and desks, and he trusted the blue lights. Whenever they flashed Mr. Miller would stand proud and rich and think to himself ‘right now, some criminal is getting his comuppance’. He loved to hear that heartless roar of the siren. Now closer, now farther away.

Never once did he worry about the injustice. Never once did he think to get out and help his fellow man. Cold cold human being.

I don’t know much about the invaders, I mean, I know they’re evil and shit like that. But I don’t know what kind of order they’ll bring about. I hope it’s a fair and just evil. All those people that didn’t care, that were too busy with their own lives, they’ll get it first. And I’ll be hiding somewhere, out of the way, laughing my ass off.

Cup out, nice pants, food for the man on the street? Money, food, love, something?

Not a goddamn thing. Well thank you very much. How about you? Guy’s gotta eat, c’mon!

Thank you. Thank you kindly. Retract cup. Count, one two three lunch breakfast dinner.

Now alls I have to do is keep this from Timmy. Lousy drunk. He doesn’t know when to stay out of the way. I know they’ll hurt him real nice and early. And I’ll tip my hat, maybe even take it off, and if I’m not alone I’ll say ‘I once knew him, he was a companion, now he is dead’

And maybe I’ll cry. Why did they have to hurt Timmy he never did anybody nothing. He was just a drunk. Why would you want to hurt him? Me? Why?

Why!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar